Getting your home ready for an appraisal can be stressful, so Realtors Michael & Anita Marchena have made this guide to help you prepare for your upcoming appraisal.
In preparation for the appraisal inspection appointment, please:
- Turn on all interior lights.
- Open all doors to all interior rooms, including bedroom doors, garage doors, gates, storage units, etc., prior to the inspection.
- Secure or remove pets from the home.
- If No Contact is requested: The appraiser is requesting a No-Contact inspection, which means keeping a healthy distance away from the appraiser during the inspection. This includes no handshakes and no document exchanges.
Please review the following items the lender requires the appraiser to confirm when they visit the property
That the gas, water, and electricity are turned on and functional.
2. SMOKE DETECTORS
California requires one (1) smoke detector in each bedroom, one (1) outside all sleeping areas (such as the hallway), and a minimum of at least one (1) on each floor.
Shop for Smoke Detectors Available for Delivery
3. CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
Similarly, California requires at least one (1) Carbon Monoxide Alarm to be placed outside all bedroom areas (typically in the hallways outside bedrooms), and one (1) on each floor of the home. Shop for CO Detectors Available for Delivery
4. DUAL EARTHQUAKE STRAPS ON WATER HEATER TANKS
California requires two (2) earthquake straps on all water heaters (unless tankless). One strap around the top 1/3 of tank and one strap around the bottom 1/3 of the tank.
PHOTOGRAPHS OF ALL ROOMS AND AREAS
The appraiser will be required to view and take photos of every room of the property, including main living areas, bedrooms, bathrooms, garages, storage units, guest houses, and more. Please ensure the appraiser has access to all of these. For FHA orders, please have the crawl space and attic accessible at the time of inspection.
PLEASE ADVISE YOUR REALTOR, PRIOR TO THE APPRAISAL APPOINTMENT, OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. ANY CONSTRUCTION/REMODELING CURRENTLY IN PROCESS
Please advise of any construction or remodeling taking place on the property.
2. ANY NEEDED REPAIRS TO THE PROPERTY
Please advise the lender of any needed repairs, such as broken windows, missing sections of flooring, exposed walls, non-functional bathroom or shower, etc.
Note: Please print or forward this post to any other parties that may need this information. If you have any questions on the items listed above, please speak to your Real Estate Professional Michael & Anita Marchena.